Did you know that you can make pesto with cilantro? Now you can enjoy the distinct summer flavor of cilantro in pesto form.
Here are some ideas for using it:
- Spread on toast and top with a fried egg.
- Use as a dip with tortilla chips.
- Spread on a grilled cheese.
- Spread in a quesadilla with black beans, chicken, and cheese.
Cilantro pesto can also be frozen by spreading a thin layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. After it has frozen, you can break it into chunks and place in a ziploc bag.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup pumpkins seeds, sunflower seeds, or toasted pine nuts
- 4 oz bunch of cilantro with the leaves removed from the stems
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 T. lime juice
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
In a food processor, process the garlic and seeds or nuts until finely ground.
Add the cilantro leaves, salt and pepper, and process until the cilantro leaves are finely chopped.
Add the oil and lime juice and process to incorporate.
Add the cheese and pulse briefly.
Store in the frig if you don't use it right away. The top layer may discolor, but underneath it will still be bright green.