"Healthified" Nacho Cheese
One thing that makes me really happy is being able to "healthify" a junk food for my family by making it from scratch with wholesome ingredients. This nacho cheese is one of those recipes.
A few notes about this recipe:
- Don't use pre-shredded cheese for this recipe, because it will make it grainy. Buy a block of cheese and shred it yourself for best results.
- The cheese we buy is white, so I like to add turmeric for color. If your cheese is already orange, you can leave out the turmeric.
Homemade Nacho Cheese
- 1 T. butter
- 1 T. minced jalapenos (I used jalapenos from Glory Garden that we froze last summer)
- 1/2 T. flour
- 1/2 cup milk (I used raw milk from Happy Grazing Dairy)
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 oz freshly grated jack or cheddar cheese
Melt the butter in a small pot.
Add the jalapenos and saute until tender.
Add the flour and whisk to combine. Cook for about 1 minute.
Add the milk gradually, whisking to combine.
Add the spices and salt. Cook until thickened.
Remove from heat and add the cheese. Whisk until the cheese is melted.
If you happen to have leftovers, (you won't), this nacho cheese makes a great quesadilla filling.
Leave a comment if you make this!